2011-03-24

The Next Step of Carine Roitfeld from Vogue UK

CARINE ROITFELD has finally confirmed her next move post-French Vogue - the former editor is teaming up with Barneys to become the store's guest editor and stylist for autumn/winter 2011-12. Roitfeld will style and edit the American store's advertising campaign (photographed by Mario Sorrenti), catalogue, newsletters, as well as the Madison Avenue windows - which will be unveiled in September.
"It's very exciting," she says. "It's a new kind of project for me. It's good to have a new life, because now I can do projects that I never dreamed of before. For me, Barneys has always been the biggest name in luxury department stores, so to be able to participate in this project with them, and be visible during the next fashion week in New York, is my dream come true. To a French girl, it's a big, big dream."
Roitfeld rubbished rumours that have been circulating since her departure from French Vogue in December last year (read the full story here), including a possible collaboration with Tom Ford.
"Each day it's changing," Roitfeld tells WWD. "One day I am going to Dior with Riccardo Tisci, the next day I am going to Saint Laurent with Hedi Slimane. I don't think it's very nice for the designer at Saint Laurent, and it's just rumours. What I know is that I now have my freedom and I will keep my freedom forever. I am very excited to have this freedom and to have projects like the one at Barneys."
The idea of crossing over into editorial to retail was something that strongly appealed to Roitfeld.
"To be on the other side with the retailers and buyers is new for me, and I always like new opportunities in my life," she explains. "When I was doing my styling, most of the time I was thinking about a real woman who was going to wear the clothes. Sometimes I was thinking about myself, sometimes about a woman who really inspired me, but it was always about the woman. Working with Barneys, and choosing the looks, I was thinking about whether a real woman would buy this outfit and feel beautiful and comfortable."


Original resource: Vogue UK